Residents of Pelham and Thorold are being reminded of a planned power outage in the early morning hours this coming Sunday, May 28.
Hydro One will be performing maintenance to the electrical distribution system in the area "in an effort to strengthen the transmission system and improve resiliency and reliability", according to a news release put out by the Town of Pelham on behalf of the companies doing the work.
The work is described as "performing switching".
This will result in an interruption of hydro services to a number of Niagara Peninsula Energy Inc. (NPEI) customers and Hydro One customers.
All attempts to keep this inconvenience to a minimum will be made, the release states.
In the event that inclement weather (rain, lightning, high winds, etc.) or other circumstances should impede the work, it will be rescheduled and a new notice will be delivered.
Below are some tips that were offered to help customers prepare for the upcoming outage:
- Making sure appliances, such as the stove, are in the off position
- Making sure cellphones and devices are fully charged before the outage starts
- Using a battery-powered alarm clock or cellphone to ensure morning alarms aren't missed
- Keeping refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible and using a cooler with ice for items needed during the planned outage
- If water services will be affected at your home, consider filling jugs of water to use for drinking and cooking
If using a generator, remember to use it in a dry area outdoors away from open windows, doors and vents. Visit the Electrical Safety Authority at esasafe.com for more tips.
Residents who have questions or concerns were told to not hesitate in calling Niagara Peninsula Energy Inc. at 1-877-270-3938 Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
For Hydro One Customer account information, contact 1-888-664-9376.
For up-to-date power interruption information related to Hydro One's Distribution System, download the Hydro One Mobile App or visit the Power Outage Viewer